Taxation of Charities and Nonprofit Organisations
12th Edition Published April 2019
Author: James Kessler QC
ISBN: : 978-1-901614-79-4
Publication date: 01/04/2019
Price (Charity): £100.00
Taxation of Charities and Nonprofit Organisations 12th Edition
by James Kessler QC, Etienne Wong and Ross Birkbeck
(all practicing at Old Square Tax Chambers)
published April 2019
The book, in two volumes, comes with a free single user licence for the online version 'ToC online'.
For a multiple user licence, contact the publishers.
James Kessler QC is head of Old Square Tax Chambers. He was appointed QC in 2003.
James advises in particular on charities, offshore entities, trusts, wills and foreign domiciliaries.
James is one of the founders of the Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners, for whom he drafted the STEP Standard Provisions, and a fellow of the Chartered Institute of Taxation. James has received the Geoffrey Shindler Award for Outstanding Contribution to the Profession.
Etienne Wong was partner and head of the international VAT unit at Clifford Chance LLP from 1999 to 2014; he transferred to the Bar in 2014. Etienne has been advising on all aspects of VAT since 1989, with a particular focus on exemptions, VAT recovery and whether transactions are in scope for, or outside the scope of, VAT - issues of particular pertinence to charities.
Ross Birkbeck is a barrister and member of Old Square Tax Chambers. Ross is the moderator of Taxation of Foreign Domiciliaries online. He advises on all areas of tax law, as well as trusts and estates.
The authors can each be instructed through their clerks at email@example.com
1. Policy Issues in Charity Taxation
2. Tax Avoidance and Evasion
3. Definitions of “Charity”
4. Taxation of Charity Income
5. Taxation of Charity Capital Gains
6. Charitable Expenditure Rules
7. Tainted Donation Rules
8. Trading by Charities
9. Companies held by Charities
10. Business Sponsorship and Advertising
11. Charitable Companies
12. Employees and Beneficiaries of Charities
13. Acquisition of Companies
14. Double Taxation Treaties and Charities
15. Cash Gifts from Individual to Charity (Gift Aid)
16. Gift Aid Small Donations Scheme
17. Corporate Gift Aid
18. Giving by Businesses to Charity
19. Payroll Giving
20. Interest-free Loans to Charity
21. Gifts of Shares/Land to Charity
22. Gifts of Works of Art to Charity
23. Capital Gains Tax Relief on Disposals to Charity
24. Inheritance Tax Reliefs on Transfers to Charity
25. Charity Legacy Relief
26. Will Drafting
27. Charitable Gift of Share of Residue: Benham Issues
28. Obtaining IT and IHT Reliefs on Gifts by Will or IoV
29. Variation of Wills
30. Benefits for Donors
31. Trusts with Some Charitable Element
32. Payments to Charity From Non-resident Trusts
33. Estates of Deceased Persons: CGT
34. Estates of Deceased Persons: Income Tax
35. VAT: Basic Concepts
36. Recovery of Input VAT
37. VAT: Exemption
38. VAT: Zero Rating
39. Stamp Duties